The End of BlackBerry....What went wrong?

Photograph: Creative Commons License CC-BY

News travels fast, and it seems that after a prolonged, slow demise, BlackBerry could well have finally met its maker, as it’s contract with Chinese Electronics Manufacturer, TCL, is set to expire soon.

I remember the heady days of BlackBerry Messenger, making teens and adults go crazy over the ability to message people easily and securely.

I was not a huge fan of the form factor of Blackberry’s, but I certainly saw the appeal - they were cutting edge at one point.

Fast forward to 2020, and they’re still around…but for how long? :thinking:

Whom of you had a BlackBerry? What made you switch (if you did)?

Let us know in the Comments! :smiley:

Source: (https://www.wired.com/story/end-of-the-blackberry-is-officially-upon-us/)

I never had the original m, but I did have a blackberry flip that was pretty cool. I ended up switching when touchscreens became a thing and I went with the Samsung captivate in 2010.

That’s cool. I did like the keyboard idea, but as you mention, once touchscreens came out - and got WAY better - keyboards felt a little obselete.

I could never take to the form factor with the keyboard but Blackberry definitely had a kind of cult status and it is sad to see it dissappear

I think they actually died sometime ago. “Blackberry” became a brand name stuck on a somewhat customized Android OS and phone, and then they stopped making the phone and licensed the OS to another handset maker in 2016. At that point the writing was on the wall - why buy a premium priced TCL phone with a random name on it instead of just getting a stock android phone from one of the big names?

And I never had one - it looked cool, but didn’t happen to overlap with a period of time where I needed connectivity enough to pay the high cost and suffer through the tiny keyboards. I really liked Palm Pilots, their interface made the blackberry seem a little behind even at release. Sort of a precursor to full touch pads. But without full internet on it.

1 Like

My 1st smartphone was a blackberry Curve, don’t remember what number. I then moved onto the Bold, Torch and finally the Z10 up to to 2014. I really enjoyed BBOS 10, but unfortunately the lack of app availability forced my to switch to Android. I always wanted to go back to give an Android BB a try, but I guess that won’t happen now.

1 Like

I never had a blackberry. I had several Nokia handsets that had a keyboard and I even had an old Palm phone. I never really like Blackberry, my dad used them but that was because his employers gave them out like candy at Halloween to their engineers and sales teams.

I knew Blackberry was still around but I’ve only seen 1 in the last 3 years and it was some sort of young start up Executive hanging out a local brewery with us.

I left the blackberry style once I had the money to purchase an iPhone 4. After that its been Android phones.

Depending on how secure Blackberries really are, they should only be used for for times when security is key and the owners do not want apps, Facebook, Amazon, iPhone, and Google recording everything the user does.

I actually still have my old blackberry’s in a box somewhere. One was the exact same as your photo @Dane_AUKEY, the other was an old model with the trackball which made for easy scrolling at the time. They were actually solid phones, fast with clear calls and an impressive battery life for their time.

Certainly were some benefits to them, as @Monkee points out. I do remember a ‘cult like’ status for many people, back in the day - seems a shame they finally will end, but as already mentioned, they were dead in a way back in 2016.

With a new wave of Chinese manufacturers, such as Xiaomi/Poco, OnePlus, Oppo, etc, there are plenty of other options out there now at least, at very competitive prices.

Kinda sucks how these original brands are dying like Nokia, Motorola etc.

I’m glad to see Nokia having a slight comeback. The new Android one Nokia devices look pretty impressive. I was playing with one at a store a while back and it did not feel like a lower end device, it was snappy and well designed. Plus you get updates from Google.

Nokia makes some of the best affordable, near stock android phones on the market today. My wife has a Nokia 6.1, and it is a pretty nice phone for the price - got one for around $220 a year and a half ago, nothing else on the market was close to the balance of features and price. Technically the maker is a Nokia spinoff company, but still have offices in the same place and using the same brand.

I think this needs to be updated now that the 6.2 is out, but the 6.1 and the 3.1 both feature in here as excellent value priced phones. And the Motorola G7 is their runnerup.

So there are some brands we are losing, but not those two. At least not yet.

1 Like

That’s true. Forgot about the budget devices. OnePlus and other South East Asian brands have took over in terms of flagship specs on midrange phones. Excited to see the Pocophone 2020

I do love the nostalgia of Nokia…the days of Snake were, well, amazing.

But I do agree, its nice to see other older companies keep up with the times.

Better choice for consumer, is what I like to see. Flagships now regularly reaching over $1000, seems a bit excessive to me, so its nice to see some great mid-range phones from the likes of those already mentioned :smiley:

The new RAZR brings back memories too, shame it is so expensive but hopefully in a few iterations they will be super cool again

@Dane_AUKEYi 100% agree, over $1000 for smartphone is insane. I have a Pixel 3a and don’t understand why I would pay hundreds more for a flagship, I can do everything I need to without issue.

Yes Flagships may look nicer and have glass backs, but it’s going in a case regardless.

1 Like

Exactly. At this point you might as well get a previous generation flagship or a budget/midrange device

For sure. I think manufacturers are seeing the cycle of people buying every year, slowly decrease, so it’s hard to justify that expense, especially when most phones will easily last 3 years if kept in good condition.

When I see a genuine leap in tech or functionalities, I’ll buy, but that rarely happens