Sprint Go Mini Power Bank Functional Review

Thanks to @Dane_AUKEY for the chance to test out this power bank. I’ve been using the PB-Y14 for a while now, so I was really excited for the chance to test out this smaller power bank and see if it met

Technical Details

Capacity: 10,000 mAh
Inputs: USB-C In for charging
Outputs: USB (5–6V 3A, 6–9V 2A, 9–12V 1.5A) and USB-C/PD (5V 3A, 9V 2A, 12V 1.5A)
Max Power: 18W
Weight:

Size

At 4"x2", the Sprint Go Mini is smaller than your standard smartphone, though it’s about twice as thick. Overall, it pairs nicely with any device, fitting in your pocket, purse, or carry-all as part of your every day carry kit.

Performance

I used the Sprint Go Mini with a few of my daily-use devices, specifically my Samsung Galaxy S10+ and a pair of truly wireless earbuds. Since the Sprint Go Mini features both QuickCharge 3.0 and a low-current charging mode, I wanted to test the differences between them.

To know if the device is charging in QuickCharge 3.0 mode, the Sprint Go Mini features a handy indicator light in orange next to the battery level. You can see below how that indicator appears while charging my S10+.

While charging my phone, the output was just over 5W. It was able to charge from 10% to full in about 105 minutes and drained roughly 50% of the Sprint Go Mini as only 2 lights were showing on the battery level indicator.

After charging my phone, I wanted to give the low-current mode a try, so I plugged in my truly wireless headphones. As you can see, the power draw was just over 2.1W and the current of 0.422A was less than the draw on my phone.

The Sprint Go Mini can be changed to a low-current mode by holding the power button on the side. The first LED on the power level indicator changes to green during this as shown here. Oddly enough, I did no see a difference in the multimeter when I turned low-current mode on or off. Perhaps this is a feature of the device’s smart charging capabilities, but I was not concerned.

Verdict

While I still plan on keeping my PB-Y14 in my work and travel bag to keep me with sustained power, the Sprint Go Mini has become my new EDC power bank. It’s small enough to fit in my pocket when I’m on the go, sit unobtrusively on a desk while I’m in a meeting, and the QuickCharge 3.0 capability feeds my device just as fast as if I carried around my wall charger. Combine that with the Aukey quality and competitive pricing and this is a must-have for anyone who needs to keep their devices always fully charged.

Thanks again to Aukey for the opportunity to test the Sprint Go Mini Power Bank. This has been a blast to test and has gotten so much use over the last week keeping my devices fully powered.

8 Likes

Very nice detailed review @cb_techreviews :clap:

1 Like

Excellent review man :sunglasses:
Wonder why your S10 would only charge at 5w though.

1 Like

@JSH1973 No idea. I’m going to keep trying it over time and with different cables to see if I see anything different. I’ll keep this post updated as time goes on because I’ve always found reviews that are updated after 1, 3, 6, or 12 months really tell the full story on a device.

2 Likes

Try with the phones original charger cable and also make sure the phone isn’t in power saving mode, in battery settings you might have disabled fast charging as well, I’ve done it by mistake before.

1 Like

Excellent review @cb_techreviews :+1:

1 Like

Also test it with this charge measuring device, the stock charger and the stock cable if possible. I have seen multimeter type devices that add enough resistance to the system that the phone charges slower just because of them. It is like having a bad cable at that point.

2 Likes

I believe I can help with low-current mode question.
When the low current mode is OFF and you draw lower than 60 mA current this power bank will shut off in a few seconds (5-6 sec). When the low current mode is ON (first led turned green) it doesn’t turn off and keep charging the load. This is solid proof that low current mode does work correctly.
Pic 1 Low current mode OFF (PB did shut off after 5-6 sec) current draw was 50 mA

Pic 2 Low current mode ON (PB kept supplying current to load) current draw was 50 mA

4 Likes

Excellent job @kumar.sachin. I don’t have quite the same tools at my disposal, so I appreciate your findings!

1 Like

I would never have thought of that.

1 Like

Great review @cb_techreviews

Nice to see a technical point of view, with handy photos. I look forward to the update in 3,6+ months to see how it handles things over time.

Nice addition by @kumar.sachin to help explain the low-charging mode!

Great guys :clap: :clap:

2 Likes