QC3 or PD What works for you?

I really like PD, but the only reason I have to buy QC Chargers is for my Qi wireless chargers. What do you use ?

1 Like

I don’t have any devices that specifically support PD yet to meaningfully charge faster, and a number that support some level of QC. So I am happy to see new options on the market, and will try to be future proof when choosing any new chargers I get, but no reason to rush into something I can’t even use yet. Hopefully in a few years (probably about 4, given life cycles on laptops) my laptop will also be on USB-C, and I can consolidate chargers.

1 Like

I heard you, I got a Mac Air last year and didn’t like it. Returned and got a Razer with Thunderbolt 3, oh surprise it did not support charging via Thunderbolt.

I have an lg v35, which uses both qc3 and pd. At this point, since they both charge the same speed for me I have been staying more towards qc3 because a usb-a to usb-c cable is a lot cheaper than c - c. The ports also tend to default to 5 volts when non qc plugs in so they are still usable by non quick charge as well. Pd gets very angry when working with non-PD devices.

2 Likes

I have to agree with @TahaEng in his statement. I don’t have anything yet either to jump into the PD realm, so when I future-proof, that’s when I will look into upgrading.

1 Like

I think as time progresses, companies will slowly switch to USB C, as a new ‘standardization’ of the industry - making it cheaper for everyone to produce the same ports. With new developments, such as GaN, it kinda makes sense for companies to utilise the flexibility of PD - fast charging a wide range of devices up to 100W. QC3 can’t do that as of yet…

Really depends on what devices you have. Mine all have USB-C, so it works great for me :smiley:

1 Like

I would just buy newer versions to future proof my self. Everything must be usb c

1 Like

Agreed. May even come a time when large power-consuming tech, like TVs will use USB-C, who knows! Good to get ahead of the curve now :smiley:

1 Like

Times are tough for some of us, though, so holding for now, at least for me, is the only option. But I am excited to see what the future holds. :+1:

2 Likes

I really never thought at those kind of devices. But you are totally right, TVs are getting more efficient going to OLED tech. Eventually just like laptops they will be able to be power up via USB-C.

I don’t understand this comment. PD chargers, just like QC3 chargers, should be 100% backwards compatible. All negotiation for it starts at 5V when a new device is plugged in, and only goes up if both sides support it. That is part of the USB-PD spec and requirements for certification.

From https://www.usb.org/usb-charger-pd
Power Delivery is designed to co-exist with standard USB Battery Charging implementations

And a detailed explanation of how it works, which indicate it should be completely backwards compatible:

If yours doesn’t work that way, something is defective.

1 Like

There were earlier versions of usb-c that did not have PD support. It would work, but it wouldnt (high heat). People do not realize that usb-c PD is not always 100% compatible. Not defective devices, manufacturers made them that way. Like I said, theoretically it should work everytime, but fact is it doesnt always.

Not all devices are PD capable. But they should charge at 5V/1Amp. They are some devices like the Nintendo Switch that uses a different voltage and its hard to find compatible devices.

1 Like

In a blog post here, @ericjhancock explains about PD in more detail and does state that not everyone is using it at the moment, but more companies in the future are moving towards being more compatible with it.

Definitely worth a read. :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

I like the PD devices, and have the AUKEY 18W PD Fast Charger, does the best, and use it to charge my iPhones.

2 Likes

Exactly. OLED, and other advances, will mean power requirements from these larger devices will reduce, and small wall chargers with PD, could potentially charge them in the near future

1 Like