Product Testing Round 2 - Omnia Wall Chargers

Hey Team!

We’re getting ready for round 2 of testing, and next month we’ll be running a round of testing for the brand new Omnia Series Chargers.

I’ll keep you posted next week with the full info - so get your thinking caps on, for how you can get testing these amazing products. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I really only have my Note 10 plus (25watt) and my Asus C434 chromebook (45watt) to plug one of those into, not sure if that would be enough basis for testing one but I guess I could try and do a combined one with the 55.5watt hub thing.

1 Like

I can definitely test these out with a DELL laptop, 20000mah power bank and couple of earbuds.

1 Like

I didn’t even consider powerbanks, I have 3 of those.
Should earbuds be charged with anything over 5watt?

1 Like

If the charger meets the USB spec, then you should be fine regardless. It will start at 5V and only work up from there if the device indicates that it supports higher speeds. Which a set of earbuds usually would not, but there are some TWS earbuds with a case that supports higher charging speed.

If Aukey is providing a charger that doesn’t meet USB specs, I would be very surprised though. I have run across bad ones before, but not from them. Their voltage regulation is pretty rock steady.

1 Like

Only reason I asked regarding earbuds was because a friend of mine accidentally killed one of the buds of his Jabra 65t, he used a mobile phone charger, obviously it could be just coincidence that it died but there was actually a warning in the manual about using other than very low power usb sources

1 Like

So, I am behind the times, because the only three USB-C items I own in the home are a few Google Pixel 3 phones, a Samsung Galaxy S10 phone, and a Nintendo Switch.

I’m willing to test it on the phones, but I’m nervous about the Switch. Nintendo has actually stated that the Nintendo Switch has to be plugged into it’s own separate outlet, free from a surge protector, for it to charge and power correctly. If not, it will sometimes fail to boot up unless you take those steps. They state it is because it is running so much power to the hardware that it cannot share with multiple electronics.

My video game room has multiple consoles running into a very nice and powerful surge protector, and that was when I found all of this out. Now, the Ninteno Switch is by its lonesome in it’s own outlet. I would be afraid of trying an adapter (even if i trust the company’s product) for fear of ruining a high dollar system that i can’t replace.

The Galaxy, on the other hand, I am friends with the business owner who helped me get the phone. I could probably get a replacement should anything go wrong.

I’m not trying to sound pessimistic, more realistic than anything. I would still love to test a product and give my two cents. :slightly_smiling_face: :+1:

3 Likes

The switch comes with a 39W power adapter, and apparently only needs 18W to the device itself, per this article:
https://www.anandtech.com/show/11181/a-look-at-nintendo-switch-power-consumption

So I am very confused about why you would ever need to worry about not plugging that into a separate outlet - most outlets are rated for 15A@120V here in the US, so 1800W. Enough to power at least 40 nintendo switches. No reason at all that it should have trouble on a surge protected circuit shared with other devices, unless you have a giant fan or heater plugged in there as well.

That same article indicates that it should and does work fine with 3rd party USB-C PD chargers. So you shouldn’t have any issues testing with this.

1 Like

@TahaEng I meant no confusion in my concerns. I am dealing with this from experience in the past.

I realize what the article you mention states, but I had my Switch plugged into a very reputable surge protector with other devices. After a while of use, the Switch would fail to power on after being docked overnight or even a few days. I did plenty of research, and between Nintendo’s website and a few other tech websites, that this was a common problem with first-gen consoles. So, I tried the various techniques that were suggested, and the one that fixed the problem was plugging it into it’s own outlet. The information stated that the Switch needed more power than what was being shared on the surge protector I was using, so I continue to this day to have it on either a surge protector with few things plugged into it, or into the wall outlet by itself.

It has fixed the problem and stopped me from having to purchase an expensive docking station and power adaptor, which is what a lot of people have done in the past to alleviate the issue.

I apologize that I don’t have an article to back it up. I cannot seem to find the information that helped me with this issue.

1 Like

If it fixed the issue for you, glad you found a good solution. Looking around for it, seems like a lot of people have issues with their switch being finnicky.

This Q/A was particularly disturbing in some ways:
https://en-americas-support.nintendo.com/app/social/questions/detail/qid/65419/~/nintendo-switch-dock-doesnt-work%3F/comment/8872
The answer is plug the cables in in a certain order. That sound like a very flawed dock design.

But with the issues you have had, I would also be nervous about testing with a newer power adapter.

Yeah. Being that I am now starting a “two income” family again, I don’t want to risk any devices that I can’t easily and readily replace. The phones? That is something I believe I can readily replace, because if we needed to reuse our old phones momentarily, we could.

My daughter and I share usage of the Switch (more myself than her), and I would not want her to have access of the games she has bought herself to be gone or the ones I have purchased (80% of our games are digital).

Thanks for looking further into what I was saying. I am on my phone currently, and did not have access to a computer to look up where i found the information. I did not want to sound like some paranoid person still living under a rock. :laughing:

1 Like

Been looking at this, would love to test

2 Likes