PB-Y25 Review - Great Device in a Small Package

O, so let’s start off by saying that this review is completed after a full week of usage, pictures in operation were not done due to a single phone and most of the testing being late at night after dark.

First impressions: The package arrived in good timing and was delivered safely by the chosen shipping company so that is always a plus. initial reaction was wow this package is small, almost thought it was something else entirely.

Opening up the package I was again shocked by the overall size, for an 8000 mAH battery pack with wireless charging, PD and QC charging capability this little guy is small.

The device came with enough charge to play right out of the package, I opened it at work and did not have a PD plug available, but thankfully there is also a backup micro-USB option to charge that works well enough to get me ready for the day.

Starting with the charging ports, there are a total of 4 ports that you can interact with. The first on the side is a micro-USB. This port is charging only and intended more as a backup charge port if you do not have a PD charger handy.

The second is a straight USB-A port intended for non quick charge devices. It works well for whats needed (charged an Apple iPhone 7 just as fast as a standard port).

The third port, also a USB-A is intended for quick charge, identified as such through a mellow maroon color. My personal LG V35 recognized this device immediately and started to fast charge as quickly as the OEM charger used in comparison.

The fourth and final port is a dual direction USB-C plug. This port is capable of functioning as both a charger for external devices, as well as the internal medium for its own charging. Since the LG V35 is capable of quick charge and PD, the comparison showed charging speeds of roughly the same time frame, under fast-charging mode in both instances. It also served well for a Dell XPS, the output is nowhere near high enough to function as a stand alone charger, but it is able to drastically reduce discharge and prolong life in a pinch.

Finally, the device is capable of wireless charging. The battery indicator button on the side when fast pressed 2 times actives a wireless setup on the top of the device. The charging works very well, working on cases that were roughly 5mm or less (the Otterbox Defender case was marginal). During a Pokémon Go excursion, this wireless charging was utilized on 4 different series of iPhones (8, XS, XR Max and 11 Pro) without any real issues, as well as an LG V35 and Note 10 with slow charging but still operation. Paired in wireless charging while fast walking town was not as uncomfortable as expected due to the small size of the charger. It was also nice that you just needed to remove your phone and the wireless charging would turn off, no need to worry about forgetting to turn it off yourself.

Through approximately 30 hours of usage in a weeks time it is easy to say another will be in my near future. The only concern would be the finish is a little slick for wireless compatibility, resulting in the phones sometimes stopping charging because they slid a little. Some form of texture (fabric, leather, rippling) would make a huge improvement in handling capability. All in all this device is great and the price point makes it a worthwhile investment.

4 Likes

Nice write-up, haven’t tried this one out but have the 10k one without the wireless charging and works great

1 Like

It is a nice piece. If my primary device was an iPhone the wireless would be more ideal. 5W is just too low for my V35. To go from 80% to 100% my phone was telling me 1.5 hours at 5W. The PD and QC ports were both around 35 minutes.

1 Like

Yeah wireless will never be a match for PD but it’s nice to have the extra option, seems like more wall chargers are going to 15w, maybe it’ll work it’s way to external batteries in a few years

1 Like

Nice review, appreciate that you named the devices you used it with (I have Note 10 myself)
For it being a little slippy for wireless charging I imagine you could get away with putting on a thin sticky pad type of thing without interrupting the wireless charging speed.

1 Like

Nice review, I saw the same issue with the finish and slipperiness here. Most QI chargers I have seen have a rubber ring around the charging surface area to give you a target and keep the device from sliding, this would benefit from that (it would also make it more obvious which side has wireless charging). I’m still not convinced by wireless in a portable battery, the transmission losses are too high when you are charging from a limited storage capacity.

In practice, I will probably use the USB-C port 95% of the time on this one. Charge on my phone’s charger during the day, and charge my phone from the same port when I need to.

1 Like

I agree a slip pad would help a little, but keep in mind that adds distance and you could push yourself outside range with a case (many are between 4 and 5 mm on average)

I like the ring, but would truly love to see a material that covers entirely vs a a circular ring. Fabric, leather or a high temp silicone would be ideal

1 Like

Very nice review. I agree that a rubber or textured ring should be on the wireless charging section to prevent devices from slipping off

1 Like

I would like a more grippy side as well, when walking around with wireless on its a fairly think package to hold and even some side grips would really protect droppage.

2 Likes

I haven’t seen many battery packs that had fully grippy surfaces - the ones I have look like junk very quickly, between dust and rubbing / poor materials causing it to start peeling. Maybe a replaceable bumper or limited amount of grippiness on the edges would do it. But the upside of a ring is it isn’t on or near the corners where the most wear and rubbing happens when in a bag or pocket.

2 Likes

If you want to protect a powerbank or make it less slippy you can buy skins like for mobile phones, personally I don’t need them to stay pretty, just functioning :slightly_smiling_face:
Well… And stay in my possession, I don’t know how many at this stage that friends have borrowed for holidays and then either lost them because they were drunk or simply forgotten to give them back before I just bought another one.
Same with earphones in my previous office :joy:

1 Like

Great review! I have 20000mAh version and love it.

1 Like

Great review, maybe a textured inset where the charging ring is instead of something soft that will attract dirt would work.

2 Likes

@Monkee Nice review buddy, good to know of the PD. Owned 2 Aukey products thus far, and can’t wait to enlarge my pool of Aukey gadgets.

1 Like

Very good review, thank you @Monkee

I don’t yet own a wireless PowerBank… may be it’s time to get one!