Other new tech stuff

I was just watching a couple of videos and reading a bit about the new Huawei Mate XS, my god we’re in for some good stuff over the next few years I think, with 5G rolling out quick as well we’ll be spending like hell on new gadgets :grin:

1 Like

I too read about it this morning… Huawei MatePad Pro 5G Is The First Tablet With Wireless Charging…

1 Like

5G is massive overkill for current mobile bandwidth needs. And real 5G (vs this rebranded 4G some carriers are talking about) is so low range that it won’t be usable with decent coverage for a long time.

I remember my first 4G phone, the battery died so fast, and the coverage was bad too… The speed was nice when you could get it, but not worth the tradeoffs. I won’t be getting a 5G phone for at least a year or two, just to avoid having to be an early tester for that technology. And the current 5G devices all have separate modems, so they will burn battery like crazy.

1 Like

5G really has to do with where you live whether it’s important or not, just a couple of miles up the road from me I can get 5G 300mbps up/download speed, it’s coming to my area in a very foreseeable future, in comparison my home broadband is only up to 100mbps which we hardly ever see

1 Like

I was looking into how they want to make 5g really have great coverage and it could be great in developed regions. They are looking at repeaters on most street lights. Always powered and reasonably close r
Together.

Exactly. Repeaters on most streetlights will be good in dense downtown centers. But that is the level of coverage you need to actually make this happen, and it still will not do you much good once you are inside a building - where you just have to hope you have wifi.

Mounting, maintaining and connecting these will be an enormous cost compared to 4G networks. That cost will be passed on somehow. And if it is just repeaters (no direct backhaul) the network will be using a significant portion of its bandwidth just in relaying data along the chain to get that coverage.

I think it is possible that 5G will be worth having in my phone, for me personally, in about 5 years at best. More likely it is longer than that. Someone who spends a lot of time in a downtown of a major city AND has some huge bandwidth needs might do better.

The MM-wave is what’s going to take the longest because of the range obviously but here they are rolling out sub 600mhz as well which will still be very fast and capable of maintaining speeds with more users, only bigger cities will get MM-wave I think.

If you want some more detailed reading:

mmWave gives you the speed improvements, but very short range.
MidBand is effectively running over wifi channel ranges, and isn’t really deploying in the US.
600MHz range basically performs like 4G. This is part of what I was referring to as rebranded 4G. It may have some new technology on the back end, but it is more marketing than anything.

It will be a mature technology in a few years, and I look forward to seeing how it does at that point.

I always wonder why people make such a huge deal over g’s. In the long run its really just the 5th generation of infrastructure. Its always good to be moving forward, but the tech is sometimes hard to really make vast improvements. Increasing speed is sometimes as easy as just moving half your people from 1 gen to the next, frees up a ton of bandwidth. Like wifi for example. 2.4GHz is so overrun, that simply moving to a dual band and riding 5 GHz can make a mountain of change.

I remember those phones. My wife used one for years. I didn’t up grade for few phone models. Where we live, 5G isn’t scheduled for years if ever. We are 5 miles from a town of 800 and almost 20 miles from larger town 100k plus and hour from Downtown Dallas. I was told by a client I work with who is an engineer with Verizon Wireless and said they are working on roll outs now and said parts of North Dallas will get it before Downtown. I think something like 5 neighborhoods near downtown will get it first and that was scheduled sometime late last year or this year. He also said said eventually they will offer rural areas with 5G but it will be set up in clusters around a group of houses or small rural towns. It won’t be seamless.

1 Like

How do you think 5G will benefit you most once its rollout is sufficient to be found in the majority of places?

2 Likes

Personally for me the faster up/download speeds will not make much of a difference as I have decent enough speeds here, but the bigger capacity to have a better and more stable connection in big crowds and without the same overload I think will be great (if it actually works)
More types of jobs can be done remotely and on the go with proper 5G as well

2 Likes

Anytime, all the time access to large data downloads will make it easier to watch and stream, home internet may be replaced with 5G technology.

I believe this will take considerable time

1 Like

Yes that’s true - gone will be the days of ‘buffering’, one would hope…:pray:

But agreed, I think it will take us into the 2nd part of this decade before we reach the majority of people in terms of 5g coverage.

The only think I am worried about is the system being overloaded day 1. ATT runs what they call 5gE in the city near me and there is a shopping center that is relatively new and hugely popular on the outskirts. If I come within a mile of this center my phone will stop having any network use (calls, text and internet) until I am over a mile away again. Never saw 4g do this.

1 Like

Att’s 5Ge is a gimmick, it’s not real 5g. It is basically 4glte with a slight boost. It’s a bad marketing idea on the part of att to trick customers. I think they have legal action against due to this, feel like I heard that.

Once real 5g is a thing, years away probably, it should help with congestion in busy areas. I’ve noticed as well with att that certain areas the network slows to a crawl.

1 Like

While it isnt great, it isnt a gimmick. There is actually a technology difference between LTE and 5gE. Many phones cannot even use it (hence the hardware requirements). Basically, they didnt go with another monicker for 4g, but it still isnt even remotely the same as saying its 4gLTE. The only downside is that the 5gE was them trying new things to enhance wireless infrastructures and they nerfed areas instead.

I understand it’s not exactly the same, I just don’t think they should have called it 5g. The everyday consumer who is not as versed in tech as we are may believe they actually have a 5g phone. Don’t get me wrong, I am glad att is trying new things and making the network better for us, they could have done it in a better way that was more clear.

1 Like

You and @Wcavaliere88 might be talking past each other here. The technology isn’t exactly a gimmick, it is real (if not quite ready for primetime) improvements that aren’t exactly the same as 4G.

But calling it 5GE (what is that, enhanced? BETTER than 5G?) is definitely a gimmick. If they wanted to show it as different, maybe 4G+ would have been the way to go. But it doesn’t include the technology that actually promises massively improved throughput, and as such is actually making 5G technology look bad to customers.

I would say false advertising here, clearly intended to mislead on some level. AT&T has a history of doing this, so I don’t give them much benefit of the doubt.

1 Like

@TahaEng you are correct with false advertising being a better description. I think att did something similar between 3G and 4G. Don’t remember exactly what they called it at the time.

1 Like