Exciting new display Tech

Combing this with some sort of next generation Aukey smart charger, an even smaller version of in ear headphones, and you might have something exciting:

Something like this in your eyes, a tiny headphone in your ears, supporting either pass through, overlay, or isolation modes, and the ability to have full interaction with virtual and real worlds.

We’ll probably need some better battery tech to go with it, or maybe just have a 30kmAH battery sitting in one pocket to charge the compute module in the other.

I can be excited about the potential and concerned about the possibilities of abuse at the same time, right?

@TahaEng As someone that used to work in the ophthalmic industry, we fit many types of scleral lenses. Some can be very uncomfortable if worn for more than 4 hours, and some had to be specially fit. Insurance, even for patients with vision issues, would rarely cover for the lenses. Hopefully, when these are in production, we will be closer to approving more scleral lenses.

1 Like

I’m not a big fan of things in my eye anyway - glasses instead of contacts already. But as that sort of high resolution transparent technology comes along, it will likely end up in glasses as well. That would be my ideal outcome, anyway.

And if it is on glasses, someone figuring out a remote overheating exploit would not be in direct contact with my skin…

2 Likes

Not a fan of things in my eyes. I can’t wear contacts, so I can’t wear these.

1 Like

This almost reminds me of an episode of Shark Tank, an earpiece embedded into the ear :scream:

1 Like

What I am interested in dealing with the concept is maintenance and cleaning. Since these are hard to fit a patient in the first place, unless it is customized specifically for them, the typical process is to soak them in a cleansing agent overnight and then occasional monthly deep cleanings to keep them lasting the shelf life of the lenses, which is guaranteed one year, unless they can make the material damage resistant.

It seems like a cool idea, but I would rather stay with glasses than to risk damaging anything further than where it sits on the eye. The eye can take a lot of damage, but a malfunctioning contact(s) you may not be able to walk away from.