Crowdfunded Tech - Who's Gotten Involved?

As we all do, we see ads on Facebook, and today I saw one for a pretty cool Crowdfunded product - a bag - you’ve probably seen them, it fits all your tech in neatly and you can take it anywhere you go.

And it got me thinking, “why am I getting this ad?”.

So, I thought I’d ask you guys if you’ve ever gotten involved in crowdfunding - if so, what did you pledge on?

Did you get the product?
What was the end result?
Was it better or worse than expected?
Why did you get involved?

Look forward to hearing your input! :smiley:

1 Like

I have often been tempted but then decided against it again, don’t know why really

I often get these ads, emails from kickstarter, indiegogo …
May be it’s because I am subscribed to their distribution list.

So, below are my answers for the questions and I guess I don’t need to mention the brand and product. :grin:

Did you get the product?
Yes, indeed right in time as they promised. so no regrets about delayed shipping or anything else

What was the end result?
I will say satisfied 80% with my product except I have to deal with lots of bugs and troubleshoot myself or help support team understand them and resolve. And missing few (key) features that are part of my reasons for backing the project.

Overall not bad, like I mentioned above, except few bugs and features not delivered that were promised.

I liked their new technology and features that were not available in existing products and little less than the top leading brands in the market. I decided myself to back this company and see how it will go.

1 Like

I am happy to be a beta tester for companies that want to send me products for testing - I have done that a lot, and it can be both fun and rewarding. When I beta test, I don’t expect perfection, or fast changes, just the ability to provide feedback that is heard by the right people.

Crowdfunding feels a lot like paying to be a beta tester at some future date. likely with some change in what I actually get compared to what I wanted. All in exchange (usually) for a discount on a product that might be on sale for that price again 3-6 months after release, when it is actually debugged. And you won’t get perfection, probably no rapid changes, and you get the product after shipping at scale has started, so your feedback has very little chance to impact the product. I don’t like the sound of that at all.

1 Like

I like to get into the crowdfunding for interesting items,…

Did you get the product?
Yes, received most of the items

What was the end result?
Was almost as expected, however for some of the products, the support was short lived and they died off (Pebble, CHIP PC…)

Was “Ok”… not bad… met the expectations :slight_smile:

Felt it was an interesting product, design so got involved, and still keep getting into it again and again.

Though I don’t like renowned, well established brands doing it… it only goes to show they don’t believe in their own products

@CK-Techie I loved the Pebble when it came out - really shook up the industry. I never got involved, but as I saw support dwindle over the years, I was kinda glad I didn’t. Pity though!

@TahaEng You make some really good points, kinda is like that - but I feel its a great way for companies, especially small startups, to get some much-needed capital to help solve product issues, and get direct feedback from potential customers, plus the potential media exposure is a real bonus for them.

Equally, paying to be a beta-tester, and getting sub-par products, does kinda seem a bad way to go about it…:thinking:

@AukeyFan Nice! Glad you had a good experience. I’m yet to get involved, as I haven’t felt sure enough about either getting what was promised, or what I wanted. But, its great that you, for the most part, were happy with yours :smiley:

2 Likes