Aukey PB-Y36 Sprint Go Mini Review

First off, the unboxing…
This 10,000 mAh power bank was nicely packaged in the minimal amount of material needed (cuts down on waste).

The next thing to notice is that it ships with the power bank itself, user manual, USB-C cord, and the Aukey sticker.

The final thing to take away from this unboxing is the size of the power bank. This thing is tiny, it’s small enough to easily fit in the palm of my hand, yet it is still rated at 10,000 mAh.

The tech specs (from the Aukey website):

Model: PB-Y36
Capacity: 10,000mAh / 37Wh
USB-C In: 5V 2A, 9V 2A, 12V 1.5A
USB-C Out: 5V 3A, 9V 2A, 12V 1.5A
USB Output: 5–6V 3A, 6–9V 2A, 9–12V 1.5A
Max Power Output: 18W
Dimensions: 105 x50 x25mm
Weight: 195g / 6.88oz

Max Power Input: 18W (derived from math)

My testing procedure:

I have a few 18W USB-C wall chargers and a 20,000 mAh Aukey PB-Y14 USB-C (15W), USB-A power bank for input and a Pixel 3a XL (3,700 mAh, USB-C), Kindle Fire 10 HD (6,300 mAh, USB-C), Anker Bolder rechargeable flashlight (3,350 mAh, micro-USB), and a set of Anker Soundcore Spirit X bluetooth headphones (micro-USB) as devices to charge.

I have a few Thunderbolt compliant USB-C to USB-C cables, a few non-Thunderbolt compliant USB-C to USB-C cables, some USB-A to USB-C cables, some USB-C to micro-USB adapters, and the included USB-C to USB-C cable.

I ran all of the combinations of cables and power inputs to charge the PB-Y36 as well as all of the cable combinations to charge my devices from 0%. The time consuming portion of this test was actually draining each device and/or the PB-Y36 to get an accurately-timed measurement.

The graphs below show the charging times, ambient temperature (F) of the room, and max temperature (F) of the PB-Y36 for each device (minus the micro-USB devices as they only had one value)

The charging times for the flashlight was 300 minutes (as advertised) and the time for the headphones was 150 minutes (as advertised) so those were fine.

The mA was measured on the Kindle Fire and the Pixel 3a XL via the app Ampere.

As the data shows, the type of cable can make the difference in charging speed. This is reflected in the measured mA that was supplied to the device.

Some things that I noted during this test:

• The Kindle Fire 10 HD (6,300 mAh) was never fully charged. The most that the PB-Y36 could do was 91% before it ran out of juice completely. This was suprising. The 10,000 mAh PB-Y36 should have been able to completely charge the 6,300 mAh battery. Given the fact that this was consistent among every cable that I tried leads me to believe that either the battery that I received has an issue, or that I don’t understand battery capacities and charging like I thought that I did. All of the other devices charged just fine as expected, so I’m not sure what was going on.
  • My Pixel 2 (not tested) exhibited some touch delay when it was plugged into the PB-Y36 with the included USB-C cable. No other device had any issues, nor did any other cable with this device.
  • The PB-Y36 was very slow to start charging via USB-C cables from the 15W PB-Y14. I had to plug and unplug the battery several times to get it to start charging. This behavior was not seen when using the USB-A to USB-C cable.
  • The PB-Y36 charging indicators (the blinking lights) blinked at a rate that was much easier to see when compared to the blinking lights on my PB-Y14. The PB-Y14 blink rate was too slow, just a personal preference, but something to note.

Overall, the PB-Y36 is a very capable power bank in a very compact form factor. I was impressed with the charging speed of the devices regardless of the cable that was used. This little power bank has replaced my PB-Y14 for my everyday needs (usually just my phone and sometimes my headphones), but the PB-Y14 will still be the one that I take with me when I travel simply due to the fact that I’ll usually have both a Kindle Fire 10 HD and iPad Mini 2 with me to keep my son or myself busy on trips. I really enjoyed getting the opportunity to test this little power bank. Thanks.

My testing data:

3 Likes

Excellent review :+1:
It really shows off how small it is in your picture.
I must make up an excuse for myself to get one or two of them :sweat_smile:

2 Likes

Another great review. Love the detail and range of compatible devices that you tested it with, it really helps to show how cables and devices can all affect charging speeds.

Good work! :clap:

1 Like